Monday, August 18, 2008

8 days out...

Among the list of things to do before I leave for India in just over a week, I decided that because of the need to share my tales of India with a wide range of people, a blog might be the best place to put those tales. I intend to get my writing and pictures up here to make it easier on everyone.

So for all of those who I have yet to give an adequate explanation of what I will be doing in India, I am going on a field study through BYU. A field study is a chance for undergrads to design their own research project and then carry it out in their chosen country. My group will consists of six (hereafter referred to as the "Bylakuppe Six"), all with different majors and different projects.

My project will be revolving around the Tibetan independence movement among the Tibetan exiles in India. For those that don't know much about the Tibetan independence movement, to put it simply (which it is very far from anything simple) it is the group of Tibetans that hope to win Tibet back from the Chinese government, who currently owns Tibet. (For a map: http://www.nj.org/tv/tibet_map.china.tibet.gif). What I hope to do is learn why young adults (ages 18-30) choose to be involved in the movement, who they are and what they hope to gain from the movement.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I am going to miss you! haha. but seriously I won't see you for...a looooong time....

Little Megs said...

Yay! I'm so glad you jumped on the blog bandwagon!! I'm gonna miss you so much (especially on the way to hockey practice :( ) Have so much fun! Happy researching!

ksdavis6 said...

Melissa-I am so excited i saw your blog on Meghan's. It is me Sister Davis! I haven't seen you for years, and now I can't wait to see your adventure in India. Check out my blogspot if you ever have a free moment it is coosbaydavis.blogspot.com. We moved to the Oregon coast last summer, and love every minute of it. If you ever come to the southern coast come visit. Good Luck in India. Love Sonya DAvis

Anonymous said...

You're in India!!! Yes! I can't believe it, and I'm sure you're having an even harder time adjusting. Good luck! Can't wait to hear more!