Monday, September 8, 2008

September 8th, 2008


Today we went up to Sera, the monasteries area, I went into the library there for a while. Most of it is in Tibetan of course, but after fishing around I found some things in English. Lots of basics on Buddhism, which will be totally helpful. But the word that caught my eye the most was Rangzen- the word that for Tibetan youth means independence. It’s a magazine/newsletter done by the Tibetan Youth Congress, the young adults/teenagers magazine for those wanting independence. Actually, I wrote down what their main motive is, “TYC has, since its inception endeavored to cherish and preserve this sacred gift of identity in its highest and most pristine form- a completely free and independent Tibet.” This magazine is written by the young adults I hope to start talking to and interviewing. Reading this made me completely excited to get to start talking to these individuals.


Also, I realize that I am ahead of myself some what here. I know there must be at least a few of you who don’t’ even know really what Tibet is. Tibet is currently a province of China. Tibetans are a minority of Chinese. Hopefully you’ll start seeing pictures on here soon. It is a province of China, but China has violated human rights in Tibet, and Tibetans want to gain some level of better independence from China. Some are calling for a complete break-off, some just for Tibet to become an autonoumous region of China. Those are the very basics… And I’ll gladly explain in more depth to whatever questions you guys send my way.


We are officially heading up north now, so the real action will begin in about a week when we get there and situated :) Take care this next week my faithful friends, and the adventures will be bigger and better soon ;)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Bon voyage Melissa au Nord et prends soin de toi!!!
je pense tres fort a toi and keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

be safe melissa! i love you dude! this is going to be like the highlights of my week i just know it. i think it's really great that you are out there and bringing us this information. i got some of my friends to start reading your blog. apparently a lot more people are interested in india than i once thought :) ....how's the water?

Little Megs said...

I'm so glad you're keeping this blog! Looks like you're doing well. Oh, by the way, I guess sheROX is changing their name AND their colors to black and hot pink! How do you feel about that? :)

Anonymous said...

Quick question:

Did Tibet start out as part of China? Or wasn't it taken over? And how did Tibet become the home of such an important person in Buddhism as the Dali Lama? Or is he just important to Buddhists in Tibet?

W Hansen said...

I love the blog. That is some cool stuff you are doing. How are you liking their food?