Saturday, October 4, 2008

Beauty and the beast

I sat on the most comfortable couch I’ve sat on in five weeks- possibly one of the most comfortable couches I’ve sat on ever. The AC was pumping high and I don’t think I could have felt cooler- while outside was devastating hot and completely humid. Light jazz music was playing in the background. People were walking around cleaning and polishing the already clean floors, walls, etc. When the two people got up from the couch across from me, someone came and refluffed the pillows. A waterfall outside with doorman waiting to open the door to all who came up.


I wish I could say that I stayed the night at this place. It was just a temporary waiting area as we waited in Delhi to meet the faculty for the visit. But just being there made my mind flow in so many different directions. I know those of you that are reading this are probably more interested in the things I’ve seeing, hearing, doing, etc. but for this one I can’t help but just right about some of the thoughts I had as I sat in the most luxurious place I’ve been in five weeks. We have been so lucky really- we always have had beds, usually a toilet, decent food, and none of us have been sick, expect minor stomach irritation or headaches. Other groups sleep on concrete floors, get sick so much, don’t always have decent food, rarely have toilets, etc. We really have had it nice. But being in a place like this... it just reminded me what plush and luxurious things are like. The longer I am out here the more I am beginning to realize that in order to really enjoy the good things in life we really do have to see the bad and not so good things. I don’t think I’ve ever looked at a nice place like that. Even in the Bellagio and the Venetian and other gorgeous hotels, I don’t think I’ve ever looked at them and felt so much comfort, peace, and tranquility and sheer awe as I did at that hotel- only because I’ve seen so much poverty, so much garbage, and so many just sad and dirty things. The contrast in life is what really allows us to see life for what it is. It really is the only way, at least I think, for us to really understand what is truly in front of us.


I’ll talk a minute about the beggars. I don’t think I’ve said much about them. IN order to try to make those of you in the states understand, we aren’t talking about bums- people who sit on the side of the street with a sign asking for money. Those are bums in my book now, but not beggars. Beggars sometimes sit, but they will always talk to you and try to get your attention. Most of them will walk with you and follow you for a bit. Often they will touch your arm. Many of them will carry babies and children with them and ask you to just buy food. They are not passive in the least. And they are everywhere- all up and down the streets. Today we heard from Marc who was down in the south for a bit, that in the local paper they actually had an article asking people to stop giving money to the beggars. They found out that people would rent their children out to beggars for the day so they could make more money. This seems completely absurd! But things like that happen all the time. It’s so hard to see it, and every day. But like I said before, seeing these things, although not easy, allows me to see the good things in an even better light. I think I’ll come home with quite the purified and grateful heart.

No comments: